Cañon City was first organized by the Cañon City Claim Club
(6 members responsible for developing minerals in the area)
On March 13, 1860, residence voted to name the settlement
"Town of Canyon City" but the reporter for the meeting used
the Spanish Cañon spelling, thus we became Cañon City.
Cañon City downtown area is listed on the National Register
as it is abundant in early 1900's architecture. Downtown
Cañon City has been well preserved over the years, and as
such, is the largest historical commercial district in Colorado.
Cañon City is the County Seat of Fremont County and
has long been the center of social and business activity.